In Sickness and in Health: Exploring Medical History
In Sickness and in Health: Exploring Medical History Collections
A workshop/symposium to explore the potential of a diverse range of archives and museum collections as tools for enquiry and study in the history of medicine.
We aim to attract medical historians, archivists, museum curators and others interested in the history of medicine.
The workshop will include:
- Mini-presentations on a range of museum and archival collections with speakers from the Royal College of Physicians, Kew Gardens, Lothian Health Archives, the Science Museum and the Royal College of GPs; covering topics ranging from oral history collections, genetic history archives, women in medicine, plant material collections, and a unique general practice archive.
- A networking refreshment break with some online demonstrations of digitised collections.
- A panel/audience discussion of topics related to the use of history of medicine collections for historical study.
This will be a unique event organised jointly by:
- The British Society for the History of Medicine
- London Museums of Health and Medicine
- The Health Archives and Records Group
Founded in 1965, the BSHM is an umbrella organisation which brings together medical history societies and medical museums from all over the UK. Our aim is to promote the study of the history of medicine. We do this by providing links between our affiliated societies, and by holding a prestigious lecture and a Congress on alternate years.
Share this event
If you are attending an event and need help with any accessibility requirements you have, please contact the event organiser in advance to ensure they can accommodate your needs.